What Does The Position Involve?
- Customer Service - this is where we show our guests a great time! Tasks may include displaying animals at Meet the Wombat & Friends, chatting to visitors in the kangaroo enclosure and helping at Meet the Koalas.
- Animal Husbandry - duties may include feed preparation, washing dishes and cleaning the kitchen after food prep. Volunteers work alongside the keepers to provide enrichment, feed and clean the enclosures of both native fauna and domestic farm animals.
- Grounds-keeping - these are all of the tasks that make the park a safe and well-presented facility for all to enjoy. Tasks may include raking pathways, mulching garden beds, weeding, emptying bins, picking-up rubbish and cleaning windows.
There is plenty of variety in the day, and each day is different. This position is best suited to those who want to be hands-on and enjoy the hustle and bustle of a buzzing workplace! We work very hard and we will expect the same of you. This way, you will get the most out of your time with us. You wont be playing with cuddly animals all day, but it will be an educational and rewarding experience that you'll remember forever!
We offer 3 different types of volunteer positions:
1. Student volunteers who are seeking work experience
Student volunteers must be currently enrolled in a course that is directly related to what we do; such courses include Cert II or III Companion Animal Studies (if you are studying with Open Colleges we only accept Cert II students if you are studying it as part of a pathway program leading to Cert III Captive Animals) and Cert III Captive Animals (we are not a suitable placement for Cert IV Captive Animals). The position is also suited to Animal Health/Animal Science/Biological Science students who are seeking practical work experience.
To get the most out of your learning experience we require our volunteer students to commit to a minimum of one full set day per week - 8.00am to 5.00pm. Half day shifts are available at our discretion, however from experience we know that it will be harder for you to achieve your required tasks on these shorter shifts.
This position is initially offered on a short-term 6 month basis however there may be the option to extend or become permanent.
We are not a training institute and therefore your coursework is your responsibility. When you sign up as a volunteer we offer you the ability to meet the practical hours required by your course while also gaining valuable workplace experience. Specific assessments or tasks that you are required to complete which may not fit into the volunteer daily schedule can still be accommodated with advance warning. However, our days can sometimes be unpredictable and the needs of the park will take precedence; in which case specific assessments may have to be postponed, but all efforts will be made on our part to complete course tasks whenever possible. We strongly advise that you commit to more hours than the minimum required by your course to ensure you have enough time to complete your assessments.
All volunteers are required to pay a one-off fee of $100, which secures your position, provides you with a uniform and training for your role as a volunteer.
These positions are extremely competitive and there may be a wait list for your preferred day.
Please only apply for this position if completing hours in a workplace is a requirement of your course and you are required to have tasks/assessments signed-off by us. If you ARE NOT required to complete hours and/or assessments, but simply wish to gain industry experience to compliment your studies, please apply for a Local Volunteer position.
2. Local volunteers who are passionate about working with animals and interested in working in the industry
This is a really effective way of learning more about the job, gaining practical experience and knowledge, and getting a foot in the door.
We can offer you 3 different shift times - 8.00am to 5.00pm, 8.00am to 1.00pm or 12.00pm to 5.00pm. You would be required to commit to a minimum of one set shift per week.
This position is initially offered on a short-term 6 month basis however there is the option to extend or become permanent.
3. International volunteers who wish to gain husbandry experience abroad
A minimum engagement period is required, based upon the individual volunteer's availability. Once your application is received, you will be contacted to discuss this.
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer accommodation.
What else do i need to know?
- Minimum age limit of 18 years
- Shifts are available every day of the week
- Bubbly, confident personalities best suit our tourist-attraction culture
- Prior to commencement, you will be asked to complete some pre-start training, conveniently done from the comfort of your couch!
- A one-off payment of $100 is required to secure your position, and cover the cost of uniform and initial training
- Unfortunately public transport is not an effective method for getting to CWP for 8am, so volunteers need to have a reliable way of getting to and from the park
- We provide a uniform top and hat. Volunteers are required to provide their own full-length pants and closed-in shoes
- Our personal appearance policy, including piercing and tattoo restrictions, is to be adhered to
- Volunteers are expected to be reliable and make a serious commitment - conduct, attitude and attendance is expected to portray one's commitment and professionalism
Thank you for you consideration of the Volunteer position. If you wish to proceed, please complete the online application form.
If you require any further information please email email@example.com